Action buttons are here šŸ•¹

Hi, so I have a question regarding the Create aspect of the crud operations. I want to know how it is going to work with linked records because I see currently that none of the formats work to input into a linked field.

Besides that, we need to see the records of a linked field. If I have 300+ products it is impossible to remember the exact string of letters and numbers to input the product.

We need a linked record dropdown like we have in the airtable itself. I canā€™t imagine anyone working without linked records so this should really be looked at.

Attached is the example from the airtable base

1 Like

@Ben do you still face update issues ? and is it specific to inbox block ?

@bradley_gibson when you add a linked record field, you will get a similar dropdown to select values.

Thanks for replying, i was using the wrong field type when trying to use linked records. Just for the sake of everyone else the linked records field type should be dropdown and then you sync with data source option.

One question, will the dropdown update automatically when we add new records on the database?

@bradley_gibson yes it will update if auto-sync is enabled

Hi Artur. Chat support has informed me that action buttons configured to update a record should refresh a dynamic block immediately if it is the latest version of the block. Can you confirm this or should they refresh immediately with older versions of dynamic blocks as well?

About the inbox block. I stopped using them a while ago since they were not as optimized for mobile view as other block types. I may try them again at least for desktop visibility after I replace the rest of my dynamic blocks for the action button/edit functionality.

If you have action buttons, it means you have the latest version already; then, records will get refreshed.

Thanks for raising this Ben, Iā€™m on the same boat. I canā€™t do the full migration until we can pass on the user/owner of the new field created, so that we can properly filter the records.

I hope this comes soon because Iā€™m sooo looking forward to use them in full!

Thanks Softr team for this amazing functionality. Itā€™s simplified a lot the work arounds I had to do to create and update records in bases with forms and modals when they were not supported natively. Also the updated visibility permissions menu are super simple and intuitive to use, well done.

Minor aesthetics and UX request from me, itā€™d be great to be able to add an icon next to the button label in order to very clearly identify what the button does (think a ā€˜+ā€™, a pencil or a garbage icons for ā€˜createā€™, ā€˜updateā€™ and ā€˜deleteā€™ a record).

1 Like

What if you have an older list block, new list details block with action/update button configuration? Will the older list block refresh immediately then? Regardless, it seems clear we all need to replace our dynamic blocks to the latest version.

@Javi , it looks like the button text cannot accept html tags. If it did, then you could just use the tag to source in an image from your Softr image library. Short of that, you can at least place emojis in place of text, and if you style your button with no background and no border, then it would give you the look of a clickable image. I have a pen emoji and it is styled with a thin border, but you get the idea.

thanks @bbelo, Iā€™ll try that. That seems like a nice and easy workaround for now

@artur I donā€™t see any changes to the Modal options in my Softr Studio. Even the Modal action isnā€™t under ā€œOpen Pageā€ yet but shows separately as before. Has the update not rolled out to everyone yet ? (I have already updated the Block). Please let me know.

@s.matah can you share a screenshot please? Is it a new block ?

Another issue observed with the recent Action Buttons upgrade. The new version of my List Details block is now ā€œclippingā€ a ā€œhint messageā€ pop-up that is driven by popup.classList.toggle() javascript call. It used to be the pop-up, regardless of its size, would simply show fully, overlayed on top of the List Details content. Now, with the new version of the block, the pop-up appears to be clipped with its contents falling outside of the confines of the cell element of the block simply getting cut out.

Here is an snapshot from my page. Notice how the top portion of the pop-up bubble is simple cut out.

Any suggestions on whether this can be solved?

I am not that strong with javascript. I did get this code from How To Create Popups w3school site and made a few tweaks. Worked well until the block was upgraded to the new Softr version.

Thanks

@bbelo can you try to put css z-index ?

Thanks @artur
Tried z-index from negative to positive numbers, going up to very large numbers. Also, tried auto, initial and inherit.

Worst case, the pop-up doesnā€™t even come up. Best case, it comes up, but gets cut as in the image I provided.

I have another idea of presenting pop-up hints - binding them to field header text, not the actual content. I have that working in another page.

Generally speaking, having pop-up hint bubbles to incorporate explanation for fields is useful in many SaaS apps, particularly more complex ones. It is also frequently used in Pricing tables to explain various features. My suggestion would be for Softr to introduce pop-up hints natively in blocks.

Thanks

Tried it both ways : after updating current block in current application, as well as in a new application. I donā€™t see any changes to the modal options :frowning:

I just realized I canā€™t edit a past reply. So tagging you hereā€¦ @artur
Thanks !