Community thoughts on Chart features?

I wanted to gather some feedback from the community on the chart features.

I have personally made maybe 3 dozens of requests to the softr team on the configuration of the chart features and how they are unusable. If anyone is familiar with how standard charting tools work and how data is stored in a table, you would know that these charts have no use in their current form. It is quite frustrating because it could open up a world of possibilities if the chart blocks were designed correctly.

These charts require your metrics to be actual field values, rather than doing the aggregating of counts for you. What I mean is, if you wanted to have a line chart with multiple counts of items, you would have to make a data table that had the following setup:

Category, Count 1, Count 2, Count 3
Category Value, Count 1 Value, Count 2 Value, Count 3 value

(Softr asks us to store wide data in this case, which is terrible practice)

I highly doubt anyone here is adding manual transformations on top of their raw data to create count values / wide data.

I think it is beyond frustrating that for over a year this feature has not been improved.

Is anyone using the chart blocks? And can the Softr team provide details on any planned improvements.

@aar0n right now the team works on enabling narrow data charting too.

1 Like

Thank you Artur. You know this would help improve my website greatly.

1 Like

Hello folks, i would like to check and see if there any updates on this, at present the only way Charts seems usable is by making sure we have the data be structured as per the needs of the Softr Charts. Has the

1. Has the narrow charting been enabled?
  2. Is there going to be some grouping or aggregating features in the charts that will be available, similar to Airtable Interface charts

thanks, for your continued support and great product :slight_smile:

1 Like

Might be worth asking at the Town Hall tomorrow: Community Townhall with Mariam and Artur!

1 Like

Quick check-in on this to see of there’s any update?

As is - i have to default to Airtable’s Interfaces for proper charting but can’t share it with external users :-1:

@flavi we are releasing new charts 2.0 either end of this week or early next week

4 Likes

looking forward to this

@artur sneak preview?!?!

Will share some screenshots tomorrow :slight_smile: we are doing few final tests and corrections.

2 Likes

@artur @austinyang

Great job team! You know how important this was to me and you guys delivered. I know I was annoying and maybe sometimes rude, but I am glad I get to stay on Softr. These charts give me a ton of ability to execute more ideas. You guys took the feedback and really did it. This should be a game changer for all users.

Now… I might just be setting something up wrong but I am getting an error with conditional filters.

I have a blk_key field in both tables that should allow the chart to only render data based off that value. Any thoughts?

The preview seems to work, but not the webpage.

Not too mention. I’ll definitely be sharing ideas as I use them more!

@aar0n thanks for the feedback we will check the use case and follow up soon

@artur following up. Charts do not seem to be working

@artur following up again. It’s been over a week. Any update? I still can’t seem to use the charts.

thank you

@aar0n Sorry I’m on vacation and that’s why I’m a bit slow. We are working on a fix. I expect the fix to be out next week.

@aar0n one question is blk_key a linked record ?
Also when you say preview works but not on the webpage do you mean preview in the studio itself ?

@laurasalgueroo Can you share a test page with us to check and see what’s wrong? also for better visibility this question can go as a separate top-level question as org chart is it’s own topic not related to this thread :slight_smile:

@aar0n can you pls check the conditional filters again ?

Hi @aar0n, nice to meet you. I’ve recently joined Softr as a product manager. I was playing around chart blocks, and I stumbled upon similar issue for not displaying chart in published version of the app. In my case it was a number field in Airtable that wasn’t well interpreted. This was fixed yesterday, and the issue is now solved on my end.

Can you try again publishing your app again with up-to-date information?
I see the issue might persist on the website, but this might be as well outdated data in Airtable.

If the issue still persist, please share a screenshot of the problematic field that causes the issue, or share the type of the blk_key – is this linked record, lookup field, regular field (of what type?)

Also, please share all the chart block settings where blk_key is used.

Best,
Jakub

I finally have my charts working! Woo

Thanks so much for letting us know @aar0n!

1 Like