SEO:Slug not working correctly

Hey Softr Community!

Has anyone had success getting the SEO:Slug field to work well?
Currently it is sort of working.

I have a field in AT called SEO:Slug but I am still getting the record ID at the end of the URL.

Example:

SEO:Slug →
innovation-vs-economics-in-the-cloud

Actual URL →
website.com/post/innovation-vs-economics-in-the-cloud/r/recF4IeKb62u36VJz

Is there a way to clean this up so I’m not getting the /r/rec… at the end?

To clarify, the url I want to have is simply →
website.com/post/innovation-vs-economics-in-the-cloud

Thanks!

No, there’s no way to remove the record id entirely. It has to either be a querystring parameter or it has to be at the end of the URL.

For a single page you could use the redirect feature to make a pretty URL, but that won’t scale to all the records in a table.

1 Like

I see, thank you for the quick response.

Is there a way within Softr to set up redirects for single pages?

1 Like

Wow - i’m really surprised about this. clean URLs are standard and table stakes for applications with a lot of content. We’re building a directory and all of the listing having such an ugly url and not allowing our listing owners to customize it (without the record id) is a huge limitation and may affect our decision to stay on Softr.

Is there any way programmatically to generate all of the redirects? We have over 5000 listings in the database already and I’m not going to manually set up the redirects for all of them.

Thanks in advance,
John

These are the available apis. There isn’t one documented for programmatically creating redirects.

1 Like

@johntreadway why would you need to care about ids at the end ? for SEO it doesn’t matter for readers also not a big deal as appears at the end like this page here has this slug https://community.softr.io/t/seo-slug-not-working-correctly/904/6 we do add record id to enable you easily change the slug over time.

We are considering perhaps removing or giving an option to remove recordId from URL but it will have a consequences later when you want to change it from one slug to another.

Overall community platforms like those have it, listing platforms like etsy have it etc… https://www.etsy.com/listing/1313213067/canva-premium-lifetime-account-get-canva

4 Likes

In some use cases, the slug being unchanging is precisely what is desired. For example, my real estate brokerage gives each agent their own website ( joinreal.com /zach-peterson ). In many cases, agents purchase a domain to appear more professional (www.dwellifi.com) which would then forward to their agent website.

What would be your recommendation in these instances?

You could then have pages per agent ? bit manual but could work.

Would appreciate this feature to remove recordId from URL since these non pretty links will definitely hurt SEO performance. There are many threads about this topic in the community, even at Reddit. :slightly_smiling_face:

+1 for having a more “legit” looking URL option. Personally, I start to suspect phishing if someone shares urls that have a long string of letters and numbers in them like “r/recF4IeKb62u36VJz”.

I don’t know what a good solution would be, for my use case (about a 100 list detail items) it would be ok to have just the slug without recordId and an option to manually redirect them to a new slug if the need arises.

1 Like

Hey @Fizzle,

At this moment unfortunately it will not be possible to hide the record ID, but we understand your worries, perhaps in the future we will be able to come up with a better looking URLs.

This is something that we consider.

Is anyone using any third party link shortener tools?

yes I use switchy.io its ok. I still in disbelief that the permalinks issue continues to be ignored. It is a MAJOR issue when i show people your product.

i agree. I want to like this product but this is a major issue for anything more than a simple site.

Any major app booking, airbnb, you name it that has listing (list of records) will have ids in URL I’m not sure why is it a problem