reCaptcha on Sign Up form / avoiding bot sign ups?

Hi folks -

I don’t have this problem yet but have seen some recent horror stories of sites being bot-bombed with fake user accounts. Has that happened to anybody here? Does the sign up form use reCaptch v3 behind the scenes? I know you can turn it on for other forms but I don’t see the option for sign up.

Thanks

This was asked on Slack in August and the answer at that time was that there is no reCaptcha integration into the sign up form yet. The recommendation for a workaround at that time was that you can use Sign In With Code as a substitute for the Sign Up block if you don’t need to gather additional fields at Sign Up time.

1 Like

Hi David - thanks. The documentation is not clear. Can a user sign up using this method? It says if they are already registered but doesn’t say what happens if a user is not already registered. Would this register them? Would they create a password?

thanks

Yes, as long as you don’t check the option “only registered users can sign in”, users will be able to sign up with this method.

What happens is the user visits the form, and by default it looks like this:
They enter their email into the form and click Continue, then an email is sent to the address they entered. The email looks like this:
Then the form changes to this:
When the user copies and pastes the correct code in, and hits Sign In, they are logged in to the home page of the app.

At this point they can go to their profile and set up a password, or they can log in with a new code next time.

Okay - cool, that is a reasonable workaround. Not ideal but okay. Thanks

2 Likes

Folks reCaptcha will be added to the signup form soon. It’s in development.

Thanks. How about the very standard model of sign up requiring you to validate email by receiving and clicking a link?

It’s in our backlog to be fair but we haven’t gotten into it yet.

1 Like

Any update on this?

Hi @Ben, there are a couple of improvements in the process, but we expect to launch it until the mid of next month, might be even sooner.

Thanks Viktoria. Artur mentioned reCaptcha would be added to Sign up blocks, but that did not happen last year. So considering this, we don’t want to waste time reconfiguring, and the prioritization of
“couple of improvements”, how should we configure the sign up block to avoid bots,…, and ensure sign up security?

• Configure the sign in with code workaround mentioned in this thread
• Keep waiting for recaptcha on sign up blocks
• Assuming you meant user email validation with a link next month, plan for this
• Something else?

@Ben I would like to let you know that the reCaptcha has just been deployed and you can now enable it on Sign up/in blocks too :slight_smile:
There is no specific ETA on the email validation yet, but it’s in the pipeline. Hope it will be improved soon too.

Thanks Viktoria. This is a good security step forward for everyone. Hopefully email validation will be released soon for at least all paid Softr plans.

1 Like

@Viktoria Hello, could you please help me out how exactly to enable reCaptcha to Sign up/sign in block.
I have already made the configuration on Google Captcha side and connected it to application.
Many thanks in advance

Hi @Valentynjk , sure, with pleasure.
Once you set up reCaptcha integration, please create a new Sign up/in block (or update yours if it’s not the last version) and you should see the Enable reCaptcha toggle.
Make sure you turn it on and Publish the app and it should work properly :slight_smile:

2 Likes