Pass parameter into Sofrt page's URL. Have it available in a Softr block, as variable

Hello Softr community. We have a page in our Softr app that needs to have a URL like ?id=
We need Softr to be able to parse the value of the in our List Detail block.
Is this possible or, if it’s not, can you recommend a work-around?

Basically, our need is - we have a page; we have a List Detail block on the page; the airtable record that it displays must come from the value of variable passed into the URL.
Thank you.

Hey @bbelo,

You can have a Custom form block in your List Details page and set a hidden field to grab the URL parameter > Customizable Form - Softr Docs

As of the URL, please note that the record ID will remain in the URL.

Let me know if you have more questions :slight_smile:

the above solution does not solve what was asked.
I’d be interested in knowing how to do what he said.
Meaning how to load a record in the list detail block depending on a URL parameter.

Hello @bbelo,

Since this was a bit confusing, can you please share more details about the use case?

Thanks in advance.

?recordId comes from recordID airtable. add 1 field on your airtable with type formula and write recordid()

1 Like

I’m also interested in learning how to pass URL parameters. A use case would be:

user selects a record, say project with Record ID “project”

user edits project details and then goes to send a message.

THe record id is now message.

If the user want to go back to the project, they need to select the project from a list item to go to the record details. IF there is a lot of back and forth, there should be a may to pass the current project record ID so that the user can navigate the site without having to set the project ID all the time.

Hope that makes sense!

Is there any update on this topic? I am also wondering about the approach to these kinds of topics. How can we pull the user data into our embedded code?

1 Like

I find out a way to do it.

When we use a “list” block with a search function, it could work thanks to this function (go down to “Filtering the list through search”).

So:

1. in airtable, I’ve added a “record ID” field = formula that gives me the record ID (RECORD_ID())
  2. in softr, I add a list bloc with a search function
  3. I configure the search field on the record ID
  4. I make search function inactive (but it keeps the step 3 in memory)
  5. I make my URL like : /mypage?search-for=record ID

I’m pretty sure I works with any field, not forced to use the record ID but I though it would be easier in terms of URL formating.

To finish, you only display 1 entry, so you can adjust the design to make it appears like a title or a simple text.