Modal Opening A New Tab

Whenever a Softr Modal has a button in it, that button opens a new tab when clicked. Even though it is set to simply open a different Model or page. You can see this by clicking one of the listing below and then trying to “VIEW PROFILE.”

Has anyone else come across this behavior before? Or know of a way to have a Modal NOT open a new tab? This is a a huge issue when embedding because it takes users off or our main site and to our Softr site.

SITE: https://www. atria-advisorloans .com/marketplace-2
PW: ATRIAlendingPORTAL

Thanks for reading!

1 Like

Hi!
Yes I came across this behaviour, a lot and this is really an issue. Before, it didn’t do it, meaning we could have part of the user journey inside a modal

@artur

1 Like

I’m glad it’s not just me! Thanks for chiming in. Hopefully this can be addressed soon. It makes embed with Modals nearly impossible.

Hi @LUDLOW @matthieu_chateau
Some updates were done to Modal recently, let me double-check why this change was taken. I understand it might be required for you, I will ask the Product and Dev team to review adding this feature back.

Will keep you posted once I have any news. Hope the timing would work for you.

1 Like

That would be great. Thank you @Viktoria!

1 Like

Hi Victoria, any updates on this? I’m bumping into the same issue, trying to create a streamlined admin process to navigate between a lot of pages, will be very overwhelming to users if a session winds up with 10-15 tabs haha

@danyalamriben to be honest, the team is still working on this feature, there isn’t a particular ETA yet, but it’s already in the pipeline. Hope the changes will be released soon.

Hi everyone, I would like to update you on how the Modals work after the last update:
There are 3 scenarios that we support when opening pages in Modal.

1. Open a Modal that has a button that redirects to Softr page

1. If the button opens a page in the New Tab → after you click on it in Modal a page will open in the New tab.
    2. If the button opens a page in the Same Tab → after you click on it in Modal a page will open in the Parent page.
    3. If the button opens a page in the Modal → after you click on it in Modal a page continue opening in the Modal itself.
  2. Open a Modal that has a button that redirects to External URL (including the Softr URLs generated in the datasource)

1. If the button opens the external URL in the New Tab/ the Same Tab/ Modal → after you click on it in Modal a page will open in the New tab for security reasons.

UPDATED
3. The next page after Sign in/Sign up or Form blocks, when opening them in Modal:
1. After the last update when opening a Sign-in/Sign-up or Form blocks in Modal, the next page after those blocks opens up on the Parent page.

6 Likes

This is excellent news @Viktoria! Now we can have a part of the user journey inside a modal. :heavy_check_mark:

1 Like

Guys, there is a new update regarding the last point, so now:
When opening a Sign-in/Sign-up or Form blocks in Modal, the next page after those blocks opens up in the Parent page

Unfortunately, I liked it the way it originally worked. For example, I have a form inside a modal that after submit displays a page with a bg image and text. Now it pops out. Is there a way to stay in modal? Will have to revert to the message display option which is not ideal.

Hi @Viktoria. When a modal opens another modal, the rendered modal on top closes out all modals when it is closed, sending the user back to the parent list instead of rendering the previous modal. When modals are stacked like this, users expect to see the previous modal when the current modal is closed. Can we have this latter modal behavior deployed by default, instead of them all closing together? It would work better for users and complete the user journey when an item is selected from a linked list on a modal.

Hi @Ben, I see your point. Let me share this message with the Product team to see if there is anything we can do about it.