Google Analytics 4 integration

Hi all,

Just launched a new site on Softr.io, and would like to integrate with GA next. However, it seems as though the standard integration expects Universal Analytics ID (e.g. UA-etc) instead of GA4.

As far as I can tell Google does not allow new Universal Analytics integrations anymore, and since it will be deprecated next year, I’d love to start with GA4 instead.

Does anyone have experience with integrating GA4? Is there a way to still make use of the default Softr-GA integration, or is there a workaround to add the tag on each page, or integrate through GTM instead?

Many thanks in advance and keen to hear your thoughts!

Thanks,
Kees

I have run into this issue too, and it has been on my list for a while to investigate. So here I go. I just set up a GA4 stream for one of my Softr sites and installed it by adding the GTM code snippet manually to the site’s custom code, in the “Code Inside Header” section.

It’s going to take some hours for data to start showing up in GA4, but my guess is that this workaround will work just fine until Softr updates the built-in integration, and then it can be removed and replaced by that.

Nice one. Thanks for confirming the workaround through GTM. That should do for now until it’s fully built-in indeed. Thanks.

Hey folks even though UI says UA-… one can set GA4 ID and it will work just fine.

That’s even better news. Thanks for clarifying, @artur !

@artur Just want to make sure you are aware that there is really no way to know that. If you follow the links in the UI for setup, it dead-ends at the Google page that says it’s not supported. I think from the point of view of prioritization, you have to consider this feature totally broken for new setups.

I tried this but it doesn’t seem to work for me. I entered the GA4 property ID in softr “google analytics” area. There is now a green dot in that area but google analytics says “data is not flowing” and shows no traffic.

@siyu once published share your link and we can check if GA script is included in the page or not.

I get the frustration with the GA integration on Softr.io, especially with the shift to GA4. :thinking: As of now, the default integration might be set up for Universal Analytics, but there are workarounds.
One option is to manually add the GA4 tag to each page, though it can be a bit time-consuming. Alternatively, you can use Google Tag Manager (GTM) to set up GA4 tracking, which offers more flexibility.

Likewise, I’ve begun setting up Mixpanel, and I’ve found it to be quite effective. In my opinion, for Softr to truly thrive, it’s essential to achieve seamless integration between Google Analytics and Mixpanel using a simple copy/paste of the API key into the studio, with auto-tracking of all the CTA etc @artur

Sorry, just seeing this… It’s been published since that post, the site is “shapeddecks.com

Is this an option for free users? I’m looking around on softr Studio and the “Settings/Custom Code” area is marked “Try for Free” like it’s a paid feature. Or is there somewhere where I can edit the header code?

Custom code is a paid feature. https://www.softr.io/pricing

Thanks @matthieu_chateau , so is there any way to get analytics data for sites built with the free version?

Yes, you have the “Integrations” available in the Settings in the Softr studio (left panel).
You have Fathom analytics, Google analytics, Google tag manager… Microsoft Clarity and Hotjar too.

Without any paid plan, these will be the only solutions available for you => simple analytics integrations, no possibility to add scripts to make everything more precise in terms of analytics.

Sharing here in case another free-version user needs it: Editing code/custom code is not an option for the free version. What finally worked for me is grabbing my google identifier from google’s tag manager, and entering it into both the “google analytics” and “google tag manager” sections under “settings/integrations.” (I had it only under the analytics part before and that did not work, only after I entered it into “google tag manager” too did it start working.)

1 Like