Collapsable Inline Filters + Multi-Selection Filter Options

Hey! I’ve been trying out Softr for my music database website and I’m enjoying it so far. However, I’ve found myself stuck on inline filters for list pages. Apologies in advance if any of this doesn’t make sense or isn’t clear enough, I’m doing this as a hobby so I’m not well-versed in the terminology. Let me know if I need to make any clarifications!

My first question is: Is there a way to collapse a section of tags? I want to be able to filter by, for example, members of a music group who were in specific songs. The problem is… I have almost 300 member records. Ideally, I’d like to display them as tags rather than in a dropdown menu, since I think it looks nicer, but having that many tags takes up too much space by default. Is there a way that I can display only the first line of member tags until a user clicks on a Show More button? I’m not sure what I’m doing with custom code so I don’t want to try anything myself!

(Text is unstyled as this is simply showing what it looks like by default. As you can see, there are far too many tags!)

The second question: With my filter tags, I tried having it on Multi-Select, but it only shows songs that have either Member A OR Member B. I’d like for it to show songs with both Member A AND Member B if someone has both those filters enabled. Is there a way I can achieve this? Having OR doesn’t really work for my use case and I’d much prefer AND.

For example, if I were to filter by Iida Kaori and Ogata Risa, the results return songs that Iida Kaori was in, alongside songs that Ogata Risa was in. I would like for the results to only be songs they were both in together… and in this particular case, there aren’t any, so the results should be blank.

Cheers!

PS I’ve done a couple of forum searches for both of these questions, but haven’t found answers to what I’m specifically after. If I’ve somehow missed either of these already being discussed, please point me in the right direction! :slight_smile:

@Zeke the direct answer to your concrete question, “Is there a way to collapse a section of tags?”, is no there isn’t. That being said, I think there are some ways you might better design your user experience to accomplish your goals.

1. I would suggest considering a tag category that’s a bit more broad and use the search bar for finding very narrow criteria such as an artists name. My perspective is that tags help us narrow down categories such as a genre and search bars help us find desired specific criteria such as an artist. I believe this is how human’s typically experience things; If I know who I’m looking for, why search through a list of names and select a tag when I can more quickly type that name into the search box? However, if I’m not exactly sure what I’m looking for, then its helpful to have tags to sorta “suggest” how I should narrow my options.
  2. you bring up a good missing piece regarding AND operators for the tags and searching. To my knowledge, I haven’t found a way to make the AND operator work. This may just be a current limitation. I just tried testing AND operators in the some of the search bars in my current app and they don’t seem to offer that function.
  3. There are a few different ways that I can think of to display artists of the same song, but at this time I can’t think of a way to search/filter for records shared by two artists. I’ll have to tinker around with this unless someone else comes up with a solution faster.
1 Like

Thanks so much for your quick response! I’ve ended up using a dropdown menu for the tags for now, because I do want people to be able to search by member name somehow and the tags are more of a design choice for me.

AND operators for tags/search filtering would be a huge tool for my use case. It’s not a deal-breaker, as searching by OR still does its job perfectly fine, but I would like users to be able to filter/search using several options if possible. Perhaps I’m overthinking things, however.

Thanks again!

1 Like