Cascading / Hierarchical Inline Filters - can it be done?

Noob here.

I have a fairly large database in a List that I’d like to sort by US States and Cities.

I’ve created an Inline Filter with a tag for each US State— that’s working great.

The problem is, I have over 1000 Cities - way too many to comfortably display on a dropdown.

I need the City Inline Filter dropdown to only show Cities that are located in the currently selected US State, and hide the rest. A “prefilter”, if you will.

(I believe this is called a Cascading or Hierarchical Filter.)

Any thoughts?

6 Likes

I need this too. Would love to know the answer.

1 Like

Connected with co-founder on Artur on Twitter. He said this feature is on the Q4 backlog. Also asked team member Mario, still waiting on a reply from him.

Hopefully it will get built soon! It’s a critical component of my app.

1 Like

Same. It could make Softr the go-to-app for building resource/content libraries (like YC’s startup reading list), which more and more community platforms are integrating.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback :slight_smile: It’s very important for us :slight_smile:

Please note that this has been added as a feature request.

I am glad to hear that this option shall be available soon.
It is really important to be able to define hierachical dependancies between filters

1 Like

Really looking forward to this feature!

Related question - how do you populate the filter? Other than copying a large set of values into a filter field on a block, I don’t know what’s the right model. In a perfect world it would build a dynamic filter list based on the entries in a field (e.g. there might be 50 countries in my AT today and 53 in 2 weeks - my filter should be able to inspect Airtable and give me all of the unique options - e.g. 43).

1 Like

Suzie, can you share a timeline on the ability to do hierarchical filtering?

Cannot find the future request in the roadmap.

Hey @majaovergaard,

Unfortunately, I cannot mention any estimation, let me check with the product team to give accurate information.

2 Likes

@Suzie: we are really interested in this as well, not having dynamic filtering functionality is a huge limitation today, as we would theoretically need to build separate pages for different meta categories to make the UX work

1 Like

This would be a huge unlock for us too.

1 Like

+1 here!

1 Like

Hey all,

Please be informed that I have shared this with the team, the matter is that this is not a feature that can be implemented soon.

In any case I will keep you posted once I have an update about estimation.

Thanks for understanding.

Hi everyone,

While this feature is still being implemented, can you discuss any workarounds you might have used?

Thanks.

yup. for sure

+1 too