Auto Group Users

Howdy y’all.

I’m not sure if this is possible - maybe through Airtable automation?

Basically - what I’m trying to do is when a user signs up on my site, they are only labeled as a “logged in user” - there are some content restrictions on the site currently, what I’d like to do is to be able to auto-add them to a specific user group say “New Signup” is the new user group.

So, instead of them being ‘blank’ until manual group update, they would automatically be in a group so they’d have immediate access to free content if needed.

Is this a possibility? As of right now I’ve tested multiple different ways to make this happen and I’m not coming up with a positive result.

Thank you in advance.

There’s no way to manage groups using the documented API. I think this means that the studio is the only way to manage groups, and that’s a manual process.

That said… you can define a group based on property values in fields of the Users table. So you could create a field in the Users table called “New Signup” which defaults to true, and that gets the user into the group when they first sign up. Then it’s up to you to decide when to change that field, either with an automation or some other process.

Does that help?

Thank you for your response!

I’m following you but is there a way you can show me what that looks like - I’m not sure what steps I’d need to take to make that work (maybe because I haven’t had my coffee yet. :slight_smile: ) Any help is appreciated - thanks again!

Sure! Here’s what I did to test that what I’m suggesting actually works:

1. I created a new field called “Old User” in my Users table as a Checkbox field. (I had to reverse the logic from “New User” because the default value for a field in a new record in the Users table is empty.)

2. I created a user group called “New User” whose definition is that users match all conditions, visible if Logged in User’s Old User is empty.

3. I created a page whose visibility is set to logged in users who are in the group “New User”:

This example demonstrates that you can automatically assign a new user to a group before you do any manual updates, which is what you asked for. But the example is a bit different from what you actually want. I think what you may need to do is revisit your existing groups and change their visibility criteria to “any” and add the above test (“visible if Logged In User’s Old User is empty”), so it’s basically “is user in Special Group 1 or Special Group 2 or New Users”.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I think you’re spot on here, brilliant. I did a quick test on a page - first I was concerned (why didn’t the User group change in Airtable!) but with my test user account I was able to view what I needed, did a couple swaps to further test and it seems to be working.

I have a few pieces that are ‘membership only’ with some pieces briefly visible to new users, so I was looking for a way to identify like - so when you’re new, you get to see this but to go further [action] and then you are put into a different group.

This will work I think - definitely appreciate your help and if I run into any other issues I’ll make sure to reach back out again.

Have a great weekend!

1 Like