Change edit permission based on page or block

Hi all,

New to using Softr and I wanted to bounce this off the community wall. I’m reasonably confident that this functionality does not yet exist in Softr but I wanted to check.

I am creating a meeting booking portal. My users are interacting with it in 2 ways - to send requests, and to respond to requests which come into them. Users in question will both be sending and receiving requests so all sit in the same user group

Displaying requests where the sender is X or where the recipient is X is working fine, so I can generate the “sent requests” and “inbound requests” tables (using Softr’s block conditional filtering by logged-in user).

Responding to requests was straightforward enough too, by giving the user group the ability to update a “recipient response” field.

However, I have just decided that I want users to be able to edit their sent requests (in order to cancel the request), which requires that they can edit a sender response field.

Now, because I have given edit access to 2 fields, when a user goes to edit a sent or inbound meeting request, they will be able to update the other person’s response also, which is not ideal!

Ideally I would want a way to restrict editing to the sender response field when viewing the sent meetings table block, and restrict editing to the recipient response field when viewing the inbound meetings block.

I just wanted to check firstly that this functionality doesn’t exist. And then secondly, if anyone can think of a creative way to get round this (maybe a button to somehow link to and then update a specific Airtable record…?)

If confirmed this functionality doesn’t exist at present I’ll update this post to be a feature request

Hi @adamnewton :wave:
Thank you for your the detailed description. To be honest, this feature will be available with the release of action buttons, but at the moment I can suggest a workaround to you, though the workaround would only work if you’re on a Business plan.

Here is what I would personally do:

1. I would create two user groups in the way the same user gets included in both of them, though the criteria in the User Group conditions should be different.
    a) a user groups that should be able to edit requests
    b) a user groups that should be able to edit responses
  2. Then I would create edit permissions for each user group so that user group 1 could edit requests, and user groups could edit responses

As a result, by enabling the corresponding user groups edit permissions for requests and responses block, the same user can see the different fields in edit pop-up for each block.

Hope it helps :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Viktoria,

Thanks for the response. This is exactly what I did, and it works great. Action buttons will be an exciting drop

I’m glad to know it was helpful. Enjoy the app! :slightly_smiling_face: